Tysho is six years old and has been asked many times through his years of going to church to give a talk, but he was just too shy. The first couple of attempts he just flat out said, "NO." When he turned five I said, "Okay Tysho it's time to at least try and give a talk in Primary." He wouldn't even get up to the chair to sit before his talk. I ended up giving his talk in Primary. The next time came around when he first turned six and lucky for him I was too sick and pregnant and Lincoln was sick as well so he was able to forfeit the opportunity again.
The next time was when we spoke as a family down here in Kayenta 2nd ward on July 19th, 2009. He cried and cried to us that he did not want to speak. This time I was very stern with him and told him he couldn't get out of it this time. We had him write his talk by himself so that it would be his words. The day came and he did sit up on the stand nervous as could be. He barely was able to sit there he was so afraid. It came to his turn I stood up to the pulpit with him and he got to the microphone and was about to bolt outta there! I grabbed his arm and tried my best to console him. In the microphone you could here us battling back and forth. He began to pull with all of his might for me to let go and then I just let him...go. I gave his talk for him but before he could sit down his dad gave him "the look" and said, "You get your butt up there right now!" So Tysho stood by me sobbing as I gave his 30 second talk and we sat down.
As parents we were very discouraged. Not that he wouldn't give a talk but how we could help Tysho to overcome his fear. We worry about him and his extreme shyness. We love his personality and what an incredible child he is, but we want him to be able to make it when we aren't around to by his side.
Thankfully another opportunity came around the corner. President Kinlacheeney(B.J.'s dad) of the Chilchinbeto branch gave us the chance to talk the following Sunday. That week Tysho was wanting us to buy him a book on Mustang cars. Tysho has been obsessed with cars ever since he was born, especially the Mustang. We told him that we would get him the book if he would be willing to try and give his talk one more time. We reassured him that this was a small branch with only a few faces that would be looking at him. He agreed.
Some may call it bribery, but I call it overcoming a fear and being able to see a reward at the end.
To our joy Tysho not only gave his talk that he wrote but he did it all by himself with no one standing by him or reading it too him. Success! Unfortunately I could not be there because the baby and Lincoln were not feeling well.
Great Job Tysho! You did it!
Tysho and his proud Daddy.
Auntie Kiana went and gave a talk too just to support Tysho. She is so sweet! Thanks Kiana.
We love you Tysho no matter what, whether you give a talk or not. We just wanted you to see that you could do it! love, mom and dad.
ahhh chels.. such a sweet story. Tysho looks pretty sharp in his church clothes and I am guessing your the one who picked it out!!
ReplyDeleteWe are so proud of you Tysho! Way to go! It's always hard to give talks...believe me I know! Wish we could have been there to hear your wonderful talk! BJ
ReplyDelete