November 23, 2009
I turned 34 years old...
Living in Kayenta, Arizona at my parents house while Rocky was looking for work after being laid-off due to the economy. But we couldn't have been in a better place than with my loving parents at that time.
My goals at this time were completely up in the air! I was adjusting to having three young children. And mostly worried about my husband wanting to find us a home and work. We were happy, but our future for our family was put on hold and we rested all our faith in the Lord's hands. We really had no idea where the next year would take us.
But of course one thing was for certain...my goal....lose 20 lbs. Haha! Will it ever change? I'm really not sure we'll just have to see for next year?...
Now before I enter into what happened on my actual day of birth of 2009 let me say...I love Rocky to my very soul, but sometimes men just don't get it when it comes to celebrating their wife's birthday.
Which was the case this year. I asked that this year I actually get presents and we celebrate my birthday correctly. Usually I say..."Uh no big deal." "Don't go to any trouble." "We need the money to be spent on other things like bills." "It's ok, I'll just go pick up something small for myself that I need."
So we don't really do too much, and Rocky is mostly off the hook.
But this year, ...on my 34th year I decided differently. I thought to myself,..."Self, You are not setting a good example for your kids by by-passing your birthday. We should celebrate my birthday along with how we do for Rocky, Tysho, Lincoln and MaeLee. So yes,...family please trouble yourself just a bit."
Of course my parents always trouble themselves with my birthday. They just love the day I was born, how sweet.
So as for my amazingly loving husband all the other days of the year,...well, this birthday was a little bit new for him, and to be short while he did try...uh,..he bombed. Poor guy...it was unintentional of course.
But, there I stood crying at the sink...WASHING the DISHES! on my birthday with no cake or candles.
So at times like these sometimes others have to come in and rescue the poor clueless husbands who mean well,...but need a little bit more practice.
At first I was reluctant,..."No no I couldn't do that to you. And plus I have the little kids."
Colby wasn't about to take my sad-faced-nobody loves me attitude,"So! I'll be with you...I can help with them...come on! We are leaving pack your bags and we'll be back in two days just in time for Thanksgiving."
And off we went.
We did just that...we ate at my favorite restaurant the Olive Garden. We went shopping literally until we dropped. Poor Colby never knew what I mean by shopping! By the end of the day he was pooped and when I said "Oh one more store Target." He about fainted. But he kept his promise and followed me everywhere with Lincoln and MaeLee in tow. By the way all my shopping was for my kids, winter clothes and coats! But I did get a few sweatshirts too.
It was all amazing.
And we also got to stay with Wyatt and Alma which is always a joy!
And best of all I got my birthday gift....against everyone else's wishes. But it was my birthday so I was going to do this for me!
Best birthday gift EVER!!!
And yes...Rocky did make it up to me, and it actually turned out to be one of my most memorable birthdays ever!
I loved most of all getting to spend it with my baby brother Colby. We had so much fun talking, laughing and just plain enjoying one another's company. How could I of asked for more?
No comments:
Post a Comment