Sunday, October 25, 2009

Tysho Starts 1st Grade! August 6, 2009

Tysho's Mug Shot
Tysho started 1st grade at the Kayenta Primary School on Thursday August 6, 2009. Tysho's teacher is Ms. Irene Jones. As you can see in the picture he was absolutely thrilled to go. Actually Tysho loves school it just takes Tysho a while to warm up to everything even getting his picture taken!
Usually we go clothes shopping for school a couple weeks before, but since we live in Kayenta and Rocky has been out of work we weren't able to go this time. We had to wait until later to get him some new shoes and clothes. My parents bought Tysho a couple outfits to start out with and this is the shirt he chose to wear. His Pa-Pa picked this one out for him and his little brother Lincoln could not understand why it wasn't for him since he is the actual Spiderman freak. Tysho measures as big as an 8-9 year old and wears anywhere from a boys Medium to a boys Large. He is always the tallest boy in his class. And according to his Mom and Dad the most handsome as well.

It turned out to be a chilly day that day. Tysho is a night-owl. He loves to stay up late and is a sleepy head in the morning. He has a certain routine in the morning when he gets up since he can remember. Cuddle in a warm blanket on the couch while watching cartoons. When he feels more awake it's time to pick a good cereal to eat. After he eats then he spends a little bit more time cuddled up with mom and the other kids on the couch to watch some more cartoons. Afterwards it's Aveeno oatmeal bath time with his little brother.
Unfortunately, Tysho's whole world turned upside down when he entered into the 1st grade. He had to go to bed early and get up early. No sitting and watching cartoons. Get up, eat breakfast, get in the shower, dressed, teeth brushed, hair done, shoes, and off going into the car for Dad to drop him off at 8:20 a.m. Oh wait! And don't forget your backpack with any homework in it for that day Tysho! His siblings are usually not even up yet or sometimes he sees them right before he heads out the door.

He struggled so much with this new routine that he spent each morning crying from the time he got up to the time he actually went into his classroom. He would hug me for a long long time and say, "I miss you mom and I think of you in school and I just miss you and I can't stop the tears from coming." For the first hour in school he sits in his own spot to cry until he is able to join the rest of the crew. His teacher Ms. Jones is the sweetest and was hand picked by his Grandma to help Tysho get through this time. She said, "Yeah he cries for the first part mostly for his mom who he says he misses, but afterwards he joins the rest of the kids when he's done. And when he does he is a wonderful student. All of his classmates love him and he helps them with their work."

This was not only heart wrenching for Tysho, but for me as well. Every morning I would have to hold back my desire to keep him home while the tears came tubbling down his cheeks. I felt a pain I never knew I could feel. I miss my baby Tysho, but I am thrilled to see him grow and overcome the difficult things of life. I know that this is what it takes to be a true and loving mom to be able to let go of the most precious thing I hold in this life, my baby. I have to hold back my own fears, and tears to let him learn and grow up to be some day a man of his own. But until that day comes I will still enjoy his sweet little face looking up to mine and kissing those soft sweet cheeks. Just a little secret of my own, I often find myself holding my children in my arms, closing my eyes, and taking in a deep deep breath as I kiss them a top their precious heads whispering to myself, "Remember this day. Remember they way they look, feel, and smell, and how much you love them." I'll probably do that even when they are 30 with kids of their own.

After about a month Tysho finally "warmed up" to the first grade and doesn't have to cry anymore. He knows when he comes home he will be greeted with all kinds of hugs and kisses from his Mom, Dad, baby brother and sister along with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, his favorite. Then he snuggles up and watches his favorite cartoon for about an hour or so. He loves Phineas and Ferb, Johnny Test, Ben 10, Chowder, Tom & Jerry, Hannah Montana, and Wizards of Waverly Place.

He also has lots of friends. One even comes over to play quite often, Phillip. We have also been blessed with his cousins Issac, and Elijah to be here and they go to the first grade as well. Grandma Gilmore also checks on Tysho in his class, in which he runs up to her and bear hugs her in front of all his peers. Grandma Gilmore is his "person" that he loves and feels so safe and close to.
Now Tysho's new favorite day is Friday after school. He always looks forward to Fridays because he knows we are going to go get movies, treats and he gets to stay up as late as he wants and sleep in as long as he wants on Saturday morning.

Good-bye Tysho, we love you have fun at school. He is so enthused as you can see.

How about a little bit of Kayenta wind for your face.


Tysho's Daddy taking him to school. He does this every single morning.

Hey Rocky you can take me anywhere too with those fine legs of yours!

Don't worry Tysho we will be here when you get back.


But that doesn't mean that we don't miss you especially your little brother, Lincoln.

Lincoln had such a hard time when you first started to go to school, but Grandma took care of that right away.


On her lunch break she took Lincoln out to lunch with her. A tradition she started with Tysho when he was just about Lincoln's age now.







Lincoln loves the big red Yukon of Grandma and Grandpa's and asks to go for rides all the time. When he gets in he likes to ride in the very back. Grandma will take him just about anytime he asks. She also drives fast over the bumps so he can bounce up and down which he loves and he says, "Sheesh Grandma! Sheesh."


Grandma loves to take her grandkids out for a treat! Whenever she takes them out to eat or to the store I always know they will come back with all their hearts desires.

As for baby MaeLee she also has some of her own entertainment...

She loves her Grandpa Gilmore.
He plays with her for hours and can make her laugh,...

...and laugh...

and laugh.

Pa-pa calls her "Whiteshell"

What a handful of blessings we have.

3 comments:

  1. Chelsea...this was such an adorable post...made me tear up, I really wish our kids could be with Grandma and Papa G. As for Tysho, I am so glad he is able to make it through the morning with no tears...he is so precious! I know what you mean. I too find myself wanting to protect our kids from EVERYTHING, but Dallas always reminds me that they to need to experience things. Your such an awesome mother and aunt! BJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just noticed...Is that your legs in the background with the striped socks? The picture with Lincoln and his red football shirt. If it is...well sorry to say, but the girls and I had a good laugh! BJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you would notice that B! Yes indeed that is me with my awesome long striped socks. I'm glad I could entertain you guys. :)

    ReplyDelete